BY Advocate Contributors
April 12 2010 7:20 PM ET
For most couples, a filing status of “married filing jointly” will produce the best outcome. If you know you need to file “married filing separately,” you can do it in many of those nine states (I recommend you research “community property” states first). But that would require you to create two single federal returns, two dummy federal returns and two state returns, for a total of six.
Tax returns for Registered Domestic Partnership, civil union, or same-sex marriage couples can be e-filed in all nine states that require them to file as married. In general, e-filing is the fastest way to get your refund. If you’re using software and you choose to e-file, you should prepare and file each of your single federal returns before you work on your “dummy” federal return and your state return. And remember to select only the state e-file button when filing your joint state return. This will send the dummy federal return with the state return only to your state, not the IRS.
In addition to the situation faced by same-sex couples, there are a few things all taxpayers should be aware of this year. Eighty percent of taxpayers are entitled to some portion of the economic stimulus money approved by Congress in 2009. This comes in the form of some new deductions and credits meant to help people through the struggling economy.
A couple of different homebuyer credits are available to people who bought a home in 2009. You could get up to $8,000 off your taxes if you qualify. You can also deduct a wide range of energy-saving home improvement costs.
If you bought a new car in 2009, don’t miss the opportunity to deduct the sales tax. If you were a college student in 2009, you might be able to deduct an expanded number of tuitions and fees. And donations to Haiti earthquake victims made this year can be deducted on your 2009 return.
If you’re not ready to file by April 15, you can file for an extension until October 15. But you will need to estimate any taxes you owe and send the IRS a check with your extension.
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 26 min 58 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 42 min 41 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 59 min 16 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 1 hour 17 min ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 1 hour 19 min ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 49 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 42 min ago