Apple Removes 'Ex-Gay' App; Will Google Follow?
BY Trudy Ring
May 31 2013 5:15 PM ET
If you want to become “ex-gay,” there’s yet another app for that — at least on Google, which so far has not taken it down, even after Apple’s iTunes did.
Apple Thursday removed the no-cost app called Setting Captives Free, which promises to help users gain “freedom from the bondage of homosexuality,” according to the LGBT group All Out, which has petitioned the vendors to remove it. All Out started its petition Wednesday, and Apple stopped offering the app the next day, saying it violated guidelines. Google so far has not responded, according to All Out.
“The app targets vulnerable people who are unsure of their sexuality or demonized because of who they love,” All Out spokesman Andre Banks said in a statement issued today. “Those who don’t know better will try this app, but they will undoubtedly fail to change who they are. Our concern is for those who may face severe depression or contemplate harming themselves as a result of this insane app. Governments and doctors have come out forcefully against ‘gay cures’ around the globe to protect citizens from this egregious and unnecessary harm.”
Two years ago Apple took down an app from the “ex-gay” group Exodus International after LGBT advocates objected.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- WATCH: We Wish Every Coming Out Got a Hug-a-Thon Like This
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM