Joe.My.God's Joe Jervis Receives Hanging Threat for FRC Tweets
BY Camille Beredjick
August 20 2012 1:16 PM ET
After last week's shooting at the headquarters of the conservative Family Research Council, Jervis tweeted out links to examples of the organization's antigay efforts and, later, its president Tony Perkins's association with white supremacist groups. He also tweeted, "Remember how the FRC and all the rest declared it a 'badge of honor' to be called a hate group by the SPLC?"
That didn't sit well with conservative pundits who defended FRC. In a blog post published Monday, Jervis posted two images from Twitter showing the kinds of responses he got. One is from CNN contributor Dana Loesch, who tweeted, "I'm blocking the Joe guy apparently celebrating the FRC shooting, fyi. He worked really hard to incite hate last week, he needs to rest."
Another Twitter user sent Jervis a photo of a person hanged from a crane with the caption, "We plan on celebrating your lifestyle with cranes."
Jervis informed Twitter Support, but was informed that the message was not in violation of Twitter's rules.
"We have a policy against violent threats, but the content of this account lacks the specificity to meet the criteria of an actionable threat. Receiving these types of messages can be frustrating; however, removing content does not resolve the issue, but instead can make the situation worse," Twitter Support responded to him via email.
Jervis wrote that he wasn't surprised by Twitter's response and that he regularly receives similar messages via email. He also pointed out something else that his critics seem to have missed: Last Wednesday, the day of the shooting, he posted the joint statement issued by dozens of LGBT rights groups denouncing violence and sending well wishes to the shooting victim. He added to the statement, "I work alone, but I too endorse the above statement."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM