The New 60
BY Robert Levithan
August 30 2010 3:25 PM ET
Online writing opens one to instant feedback. I know that not everyone will appreciate my
point of view. I am interested in those who disagree. And it is
fascinating that some readers have trouble with statements about liking
myself and my life. I consider my contentment a hard-earned prize, the
payoff for years of study and reflection. This is why getting older
is so cool: If we continue to learn and grow, living does get better.
Some people are born with the grace of inner peace, Most of us have to
peel away the layers of indoctrination and internalized prejudice and
embrace the peace that is our birthright.
There is always work
to do. I like learning. I like being challenged. I struggle when my
history gets in the way of my present by skewing perception. The
alternatives to embracing the aging process are really daunting: resignation, despair, enervation.
The heart and mind and
psyche are like the body — they thrive on exercise and healthy fuel.
The regimen must be reevaluated periodically and adjusted for stress
factors and changes in the circumstances of one’s life. To maintain
health, we continue to eat, drink, and move. Writing about approaching
60 allows me to examine the journey thus far, evaluate my practices and
beliefs, and adjust for drift. This column could just as easily have
been "The New 40" or "The New 70." It’s about redefining our point of view
on aging and living in the 21st century.
I am so fortunate: I love this life that I have worked for ... yes!
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM