Thompson may return to private sector in 2003
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 27 2002 12:00 AM ET
Health and Human Services secretary Tommy Thompson says he is "not committed" to his role in the Bush administration past February 2003 and that he has already considered offers to return to the private sector at that time, the Chicago Tribune reports. Thompson said he told Bush he would serve for two years. "I certainly will comply with that. If he wants me to stay after the [November 2002] election, we'll sit down and talk." Thompson, who was the focus of an angry protest over U.S. AIDS policy in July at the XIV International AIDS Conference in Barcelona, Spain, added that he has received job offers from the private sector, though he did not elaborate.
Some political observers had predicted that Thompson would be the first Bush cabinet member to leave Washington because of Thompson's disagreement with Bush over embryonic stem-cell research. Thompson spokesman Tony Jewell said that Thompson's comments do not indicate that he has definitely decided to leave HHS in February. "He very much enjoys his job here at HHS," Jewell said, adding that Thompson's comments were meant only to show residents of Wisconsin, his home state, that he misses them.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Filmmaker Needs Help to Penetrate the South 18 min 39 sec ago
- Commentary NYC Hate Crimes: Why I'm Afraid for First Time in My Life 35 min 59 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Portia de Rossi Spills Ellen's Most Annoying Habit to Jennifer Aniston 59 min 2 sec ago
- Living Well Why Shacking Up Is Good For Your Health 1 hour 5 min ago
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 2 hours 1 min ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 2 hours 30 min ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 11:07 AM