Powell booed at world summit
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 05 2002 12:00 AM ET
A speech by U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell defending U.S. international AIDS and environmental policies drew angry shouts and boos from listeners Wednesday at the World Summit on Sustainable Development in Johannesburg, South Africa. Powell, speaking at the summit's closing session, said the Bush administration has stepped up its support of the developing world, including helping to establish the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria.
Powell's speech was interrupted repeatedly by protesters who booed and shouted "Shame on Bush!" Two people held up a banner reading, "Betrayed by governments." Thirteen protestors were removed from the auditorium where Powell was speaking. Powell, visibly annoyed by the protesters, at one point responded to their jeers by answering back, "I have now heard you. I ask that you hear me."
South African foreign minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, who chaired the summit meeting, frequently shouted back at the protesters, calling their outbursts "totally unacceptable."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 2 hours 36 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 2 hours 57 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM