Viacom, Kaiser announce multimedia AIDS education campaign
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 10 2002 12:00 AM ET
Viacom--which owns CBS, UPN, Black Entertainment Television, Nickelodeon, and MTV Networks--and the Kaiser Family Foundation announced Wednesday a multimedia AIDS awareness and education campaign that will begin in January, The New York Times reports. Viacom will donate unsold advertising time on its television and radio stations for AIDS public service announcements. The media company also will include HIV prevention messages in the scripts of many of its television programs and possibly even film projects. UPN's Girlfriends, NBC's Frasier, and CBS's Becker all have agreed to address HIV/AIDS in future episodes. Kaiser will advise Viacom on the development of all its HIV/AIDS content.
Viacom president Mel Karmazin said the company began discussing the campaign about a year ago when BET and MTV had independently launched their own HIV awareness projects. The company plans to donate about $120 million worth of advertising time to the campaign and will spend about $3 million more developing the public service announcements. Kaiser has donated $1 million toward the campaign.
Kaiser president Drew Altman said the campaign is expected to last two years or longer. "The combination of Viacom's creative capabilities and reach and the Kaiser Family Foundation's expertise on HIV and public education will help millions of people learn more about AIDS and how it can be prevented," Altman said. "Global AIDS is the greatest health challenge of our generation, and the media can be a powerful tool in educating people about the disease."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM