Four European countries investigate diversion of AIDS drugs
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 30 2002 1:00 AM ET
Law enforcement officials from four European countries are cooperating in an investigation into "a wide web of trafficking" schemes that resulted in discounted anti-HIV drugs intended for delivery in Africa being rerouted and sold at higher prices in Europe, The New York Times reports. Investigators from the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, and France met on October 29 at Europol, the European police agency, to pool evidence they've collected during the past month.
The investigation stemmed from reports that up to 28 shipments containing about 3 million doses of GlaxoSmithKline's anti-HIV drugs Combivir, Epivir, and Trizivir were diverted by European wholesalers from Africa and sold in Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom between July 2001 and July 2002. The drugs were intended for distribution in five central African nations. Investigators believe there is "a whole chain of businesses and individuals involved" in the fraud. The investigators are also looking into the possibility that AIDS groups in the African countries actually received the medications and either resold them to raise money to buy other anti-HIV medications or profited directly from their sale.
In an effort to curtail future problems with drug deliveries to Africa, the European Commission is set to publish new enforcement guidelines calling for more border checks and tighter customs procedures for exported and imported medications.
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 26 min 36 sec ago
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 27 min 47 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Robin Tyler's Rally Cry at Long Beach Dyke March 28 min 11 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Gay Character in Peril in New Teen Wolf Season 3 Trailer 1 hour 27 min ago
- Commentary Stop Acting Like I'm Dead Because I Have HIV 1 hour 41 min ago
- Entertainment News 'Turn Back Time' For Cher's Birthday 1 hour 54 min ago
- Women Texas Judge Says Lesbian Mom Can't Live With Partner and Keep Custody of Kids 1 hour 59 min ago