Four European countries investigate diversion of AIDS drugs
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 30 2002 12:00 AM ET
Law enforcement officials from four European countries are cooperating in an investigation into "a wide web of trafficking" schemes that resulted in discounted anti-HIV drugs intended for delivery in Africa being rerouted and sold at higher prices in Europe, The New York Times reports. Investigators from the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, and France met on October 29 at Europol, the European police agency, to pool evidence they've collected during the past month.
The investigation stemmed from reports that up to 28 shipments containing about 3 million doses of GlaxoSmithKline's anti-HIV drugs Combivir, Epivir, and Trizivir were diverted by European wholesalers from Africa and sold in Germany, the Netherlands, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom between July 2001 and July 2002. The drugs were intended for distribution in five central African nations. Investigators believe there is "a whole chain of businesses and individuals involved" in the fraud. The investigators are also looking into the possibility that AIDS groups in the African countries actually received the medications and either resold them to raise money to buy other anti-HIV medications or profited directly from their sale.
In an effort to curtail future problems with drug deliveries to Africa, the European Commission is set to publish new enforcement guidelines calling for more border checks and tighter customs procedures for exported and imported medications.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 5 min 27 sec ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 1 hour 45 min ago
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 1 hour 54 min ago
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 2 hours 37 min ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM