Study: Drug use, physical abuse may increase vulnerability to HIV infection
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 03 2003 12:00 AM ET
Gay and bisexual men with a history of physical abuse, drug use, and depression could be more vulnerable to HIV infection, according to a study in the June edition of the American Journal of Public Health. "The interconnection of these problems functions to magnify the effects of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in this population," Centers for Disease Control and Prevention researcher Ron Stall told the Health Behavior News Service.
CDC researchers collected information on health problems such as physical and sexual abuse, depression, and drug use from 2,881 men in New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Chicago who identified as either gay or bisexual. Men who used drugs or were physically abused by their partners were found to be more likely to be HIV-positive. Men who were sexually abused as children were more likely to engage in high-risk sex, putting them at increased risk for HIV infection. The more psychosocial health problems the men had, the more likely they were to be infected with HIV and to practice high-risk sexual behaviors, according to the study.
The study calls for more programs that address drug use, depression, physical and sexual abuse, and other mental health issues among gay and bisexual men to help lower their risk of HIV infection.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Op-ed: No One Is Invincible
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' 14 min 47 sec ago
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed 1 hour 14 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' 1 hour 23 min ago
- Women This is the Meryl Streep/Hillary Clinton Selfie You Need In Your Life Right Now! 2 hours 34 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on TV 2:27 PM
- Women WATCH: AI's Out Performer MK Nobilette Does 'To Make You Feel My Love' 2:11 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Married British Same-Sex Couples Are Now Legal 1:56 PM