Study: South African AIDS epidemic peaked in 2002
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 21 2003 11:00 PM ET
A study in the current issue of the African Journal of AIDS Research suggests that South Africa's AIDS epidemic peaked in 2002, with 4.69 million people infected with HIV. New infections are expected to decrease beginning this year, and coupled with rising numbers of AIDS-related deaths in the country, the number of people living with HIV disease is expected to decrease annually, say researchers at the South African Human Sciences Research Council.
The conclusions were drawn from an epidemiological model crafted by the scientists to examine the spread of HIV in the country based on demographic data collected through two independent studies. According to the model, the prevalence of HIV among 15- to 49-year-old adults is expected to decline from 17.3% in 2001 to 15.2% in 2010. The study also predicted that the number of AIDS deaths in the country will peak in 2008 with nearly 490,000 fatalities and begin to slowly decline thereafter. The study attributes the peak of the epidemic to several factors, including an increase in the number of AIDS deaths in the late 1990s and early 2000s, and changes in sexual behavior following the launch of HIV prevention programs.
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars 1 hour 37 min ago
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out December 19 2013 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain December 19 2013 6:33 PM
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny December 19 2013 6:18 PM