Study: Some gay men may be "hardwired" for unsafe sex
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 30 2003 1:00 AM ET
A Kinsey Institute study of 1,500 men, nearly 40% of whom self-identified as gay, shows that some men--maybe as many as 10% to 20%--are predisposed to unsafe sex, particularly in response to stress and depression, USA Today reports. Although most men lose interest in sex when depressed or anxious, the Kinsey study showed that some become more aroused under such conditions and are apt to seek out casual sex, said John Bancroft, Kinsey Institute director and the study's author.
Men who were labeled "Type T," or risk takers, by the study also were among the most likely to have unprotected casual sex. The threat of catching a sexually transmitted disease, including HIV, did not seem to have any effect on the behavior of these men, according to the study. "They get excited despite the threat," Bancroft told USA Today.
Eli Coleman, director of the human sexuality program at the University of Minnesota, said traditional safer-sex campaigns are likely to fail with those who engage in unprotected sex when depressed or under stress as well as with thrill seekers. He suggests prevention programs should emphasize how mental health affects sexual behavior. "Nobody is predestined for dangerous sex," he told USA Today. "But telling them 'Just use a condom' isn't enough to stop the behavior."
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Women Why You Need to See Demi Lovato's Neon Lights Tour STAT 9 min 26 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 28 min 57 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 32 min 52 sec ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 32 min 53 sec ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 33 min 3 sec ago
- Politics Kenyan Lesbian Granted Asylum in U.S. 33 min 20 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Methodist Church Drops Charges Against Minister 53 min 58 sec ago