FDA warns Canadian drug exporter
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 13 2003 12:00 AM ET
The Food and Drug Administration last week sent a letter to officials at CanaRx Services Inc., an Ontario, Canada-based firm that sells prescription drugs to Americans at discounted Canadian prices, warning the company that its operations violate U.S. laws. The FDA also said the agency would move to block CanaRx shipments into the United States if the company did not stop exporting prescription medications to U.S. consumers. The same drugs sold in the United States can cost substantially less in Canada because of the Canadian government's negotiations with drug companies for price cuts. For example, the anti-HIV medication Combivir can be bought in Canada for about two thirds its cost in the United States. CanaRx sells such medications to U.S. consumers, including providing drugs to a Springfield, Mass., municipal program for the city's 20,000 employees, retirees, and their family members. U.S. consumers fax their prescriptions to the company, which gets a Canadian doctor to rewrite the prescription so it can be filled by a Canadian pharmacy at Canadian prices and shipped to the buyers in the United States.
FDA officials did not announce when they planned to take action against CanaRx, but legal experts say it's possible the FDA will file a civil lawsuit against the Canadian firm. The FDA also may pursue legal action against state and local governments, such as the Springfield program, that purchased prescription medications from Canada. CanaRx officials say they are not breaking any U.S. or Canadian laws and will fight any efforts by the FDA to prevent their shipments to the United States.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 2 hours 15 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM