Clinton Foundation brokers deal on HIV diagnostic tests
January 16 2004 12:00 AM ET
Former president Bill Clinton's foundation on Wednesday announced a deal with five leading medical technology companies that could reduce the cost of HIV diagnostic tests by up to 80% in Africa and the Caribbean. The deal could affect 90% of HIV-positive people in the Caribbean and one third of those in sub-Saharan Africa, Clinton said.
"We're systematically changing the economics of AIDS treatment in places where, before now, very, very few people have been able to receive care," said Clinton, speaking at his office in the Harlem section of New York City.
Under the agreement, five companies--Bayer Diagnostics; Beckman Coulter; bioMerieux; Roche Diagnostics; and Becton, Dickinson and Company--would discount the prices of CD4 tests, which measure white blood cell counts, and viral load tests, which measure the effectiveness of anti-HIV treatments. The cost of CD4 tests will drop from $8-$10 per test to $3-$5 per test; the cost of viral load tests will be 20% less than what the companies currently charge in developing nations. Executives from the companies say they hope to make up for lower profits with higher sales volume.
In October the William J. Clinton Presidential Foundation announced a deal with pharmaceutical companies in India and South Africa to cut the prices on their generic anti-HIV drugs.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 52 min 57 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM