More Hepatitis Cases Traced to Vegas Clinic
BY Mike Grippi
May 10 2008 12:00 AM ET
more people who were treated at a Las Vegas outpatient
clinic have been diagnosed with hepatitis C, health
say for sure how the 77 people were infected, said
Brian Labus, senior epidemiologist with the Southern Nevada
Health District. But they know each was treated from
March 2004 to January 11 this year at the Endoscopy
Center of Southern Nevada.
''We know they
didn't have a positive test before they went to the
clinic, and now they're positive,'' Labus said.
The reports bring
the number of cases linked to clinics run by the same
group of doctors to 85.
In the eight
cases identified earlier, seven were linked to the Endoscopy
Center of Southern Nevada. The other case was traced to a
sister clinic, Desert Shadow Endoscopy Center.
While 300 other
patients also tested positive and were interviewed,
officials determined they could have contracted the virus
through other means, including intravenous drug use,
blood transfusions, organ transplants, and kidney
The clinics were
headed by doctors Dipak Desai and Eladio Carrera, whose
Nevada medical licenses have been suspended pending hearings
by the state Board of Medical Examiners.
said at least 50,000 patients may have been exposed to
unsafe practices by clinic staff who reused syringes and
single-use vials of medication during anesthesia.
results in the swelling of the liver and can cause stomach
pain, fatigue, and jaundice. It may eventually result in
liver failure. Even when no symptoms occur, the virus
can slowly cause damage to the liver. (AP)
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 2 min 51 sec ago
- Entertainment News EXCLUSIVE: Madonna's MDNA Concert Clip 45 min 44 sec ago
- Politics Dallas Councilwoman Objects to Gay HIV Billboard 1 hour 41 min ago
- Marriage Equality Arizona: Org. Files for Marriage Equality Ballot Initiative 1 hour 51 min ago
- Business Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market 1 hour 52 min ago
- Women WATCH: The Voice's Out Artist Michelle Chamuel Tackles Annie Lennox's 'Why' 2 hours 4 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer Says Judge is Biased, Should Remove Himself 2 hours 15 min ago