Nadler reintroduces immigration bill
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 15 2001 12:00 AM ET
Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.) reintroduced a bill in Congress Wednesday that would allow gay and lesbian U.S. citizens to sponsor their partners for permanent residence in the United States. The Permanent Partners Immigration Act would change current policy, which does not recognize gay and lesbian relationships and prevents immigrant partners of gay and lesbian citizens from staying in the country. I think introducing a bill which aims to keep loving and committed relationships together is a perfect way to celebrate Valentines Day, said Nadler. Why should we allow the government to tear apart committed and loving couples just because of who they love? The answer is that there is no excuse for this gratuitous cruelty, and my bill would correct that. Gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender families need the same level of government recognition and support as any other family, said Elizabeth Toledo, executive director of the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. This bill will unite families and amend laws that have torn apart caring, committed couples across borders. Nadler introduced the bill in the last Congress, but it was not voted on.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero?
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 55 min 21 sec ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 1 hour 46 min ago
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 1 hour 54 min ago
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 2 hours 34 min ago
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM