BY Advocate.com Editors
June 22 2001 12:00 AM ET
Lesbian serial killer opera Wuornos premieres in San Francisco
Lesbian composer-librettist Carla Luceros opera Wuornos, based on the real-life story of Aileen Wuornos, the lesbian who is currently sitting on death row for killing seven men in Florida, premieres at the Yerba Buena Arts Theater in San Francisco on Friday, June 22 and runs through Sunday, June 24. The three-act production takes the audience into the mind of a horribly abused woman whose coping mechanisms made her come to view men as an ongoing physical threat; Wuornos pleaded self-defense to each of the murder charges. The leading role will be sung by out soprano Kristin Norderval. Yerba Buena Center for the Arts is located at 701 Mission Street. For more information, call (415) 978-2787 or visit either www.wuornos.org or www.yerbabuenaarts.org.
From the archives of The Advocate
07/03/01: Killer opera
Composer Carla Lucero talks about her new opera, Wuornoswhich tells the story of the infamous lesbian serial killerand about operas glass ceiling
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- EXCLUSIVE: Bette Midler Covers TLC's 'Waterfalls'
- 7 Absurd Legal 'Arguments' Against Marriage Equality From a Straight Couple in Kansas
- QUIZ: Are You Afraid of Gay PDA?
- Michigan: GOP Candidate With Felony-Fetish Arrests Warns Against 'Homosexual Agenda'
- #TBT: Halloween Exhibitionism