New York Times to run same-sex commitment notices
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 20 2002 12:00 AM ET
The New York Times plans to begin publishing announcements of same-sex commitment ceremonies along with its wedding announcements. The announcements of formal gay and lesbian unions will begin next month in the paper's Sunday Styles section, Howell Raines, executive editor of the Times, said in Sunday's edition of the paper.
"In making this change, we acknowledge the newsworthiness of a growing and visible trend in society toward public celebrations of commitment by gay and lesbian couples--celebrations important to many of our readers, their families, and their friends," Raines said. "We recognize that society remains divided about the legal and religious definition of marriage, and our news columns will remain impartial in that debate, reporting fully on all points of view," he added.
After the newspaper's announcement, media watchdog group the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation said it was launching an effort to double within a year the number of local and regional newspapers that list same-sex commitment ceremonies, unions, and weddings.
"We are taking the same appeal we made to The New York Times for equal coverage to newspapers in the nation's top 100 media markets," said Joan Garry, GLAAD executive director. "It's simply a matter of fairness and accurate representation of important events occurring in the communities these papers serve. We believe the time is right for newspapers across the country to embrace fair and accurate inclusion of same-sex union announcements."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Ugandan LGBT Activists Arrested While Protesting Media Censorship
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television The Brains Behind Husbands 13 min 20 sec ago
- Tyler Curry The 'Undetectable' Paradox in Talking About HIV 16 min 11 sec ago
- Current Issue Meet the New Voice for Dallas 2 hours 16 min ago
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families May 23 2013 8:17 PM
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process May 23 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile May 23 2013 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered May 23 2013 7:02 PM