Bill to protect gay foster kids goes to California governor
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 21 2002 12:00 AM ET
A bill intended to prevent the harassment of gay and lesbian foster kids--but which is opposed by several conservative and religious groups--is headed to California governor Gray Davis. The bill, which directs the state to recruit gay foster care providers in the same way it recruits other minority-group providers, passed the California assembly 41-28 after a heated debate Monday. The measure, by Assemblywoman Judy Chu (D-Monterey Park), encourages counties to offer training to foster parents so they can support gay, bisexual, or transgendered foster youth.
There are about 250,000 foster children in California, and up to 10% have identified themselves as gay, according to a spokesman from Chu's office. Republican assembly members and conservative organizations have blasted the measure, saying it will drive religious families from the foster care system. The measure now goes to Davis for his signature. A spokesman from the governor's office said Davis has not yet taken a position on the bill.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 50 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 4 min 35 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 26 min 28 sec ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 29 min 51 sec ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 1 hour 55 min ago
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 2 hours 50 min ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 5:22 PM