Tacoma to vote on antidiscrimination law repeal
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 23 2002 12:00 AM ET
The auditor's office of Pierce County, Wash., says supporters of an effort to overturn an antidiscrimination ordinance have apparently collected enough signatures to get their measure on the ballot.
That means Tacoma voters will decide in November whether to repeal the city law that protects gays, lesbians, and other sexual minorities in housing and employment. It exempts certain religious nonprofit organizations. Initiative sponsor Doug Delin and his Help Us Take Back Tacoma Again! campaign collected 4,048 signatures to get the issue on the ballot.
The Tacoma city council voted 8-1 in April to pass a revised version of the city's antidiscrimination law, extending protection to sexual minorities in employment, housing, and education. But Delin said the law hurts small businesses by making them vulnerable to costly lawsuits and validates a way of living that doesn't deserve legal protection. "It denies citizens due process on both sides of the issue," he said.
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go To Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: Catholic School Tells Trans Teen 'Wear Girl's Gown or Don't Walk at Graduation'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comedy WATCH: Ben Affleck's Ex-Gay Camp Counselor Says 'Hetero Is Better, Yo!' 21 min 24 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Pro-Marriage Equality Ill. Republican Won't Seek State Party Chairmanship 44 min 24 sec ago
- Women Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship 50 min 28 sec ago
- Theater What Does Jane Lynch Have in Common with Miss Hannigan, Her Role in Broadway's Annie? 57 min 2 sec ago
- Women Chely Wright and Lauren Blitzer Welcome Twins 1 hour 1 min ago
- Health News Calcium Bad, Cinnamon Good, PreP Fails: Baffling Health News 1 hour 30 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels Coming Out HIV-Positive in the Comic Book Store 1 hour 33 min ago