BY Advocate.com Editors
August 28 2002 11:00 PM ET
More than 300 attend LGBTI health summit
More than 300 gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, and intersex people and health providers and advocates attended LGBTI Health Summit 2002, held August 21-25 in Boulder, Colo. The summit addressed a wide range of issues affecting the health of sexual minorities through workshops, panel discussions, and plenary sessions on such topics as same-sex parenting, aging, depression, same-sex domestic violence, and safer sex. Reports from the XIV International AIDS Conference, held in July in Barcelona, and the Queer Disability Conference, held in June in San Francisco, were also presented.
New features at the 2002 conference were the focus on intersex issues and a full track of workshops on drug use, harm reduction, and substance abuse treatment. The underlying theme of the conference was to expand beyond addressing disease but also to discuss the wellness and strength of the LGBTI community. "Our communities are harmed tremendously by portraying them as diseased," said Eric Rofes, who helped convene the event. "Is it possible to truly empower when we consistently represent a community utilizing deficit-based constructs? Let's think of LGBTI people as resilient and creative and persevering more often than we think of our people as damaged."
The next LGBTI Health Summit will be held in 2004. For more information about the 2002 gathering, go online to www.healthsummit2002.org.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 45 min 24 sec ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 1 hour 8 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 15 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 1 hour 23 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 1 hour 26 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 1 hour 34 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2 hours 21 min ago