Kentucky men arrested for bashing gay couple
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 17 2002 11:00 PM ET
Police in London, Ky., have charged two men with assault after they allegedly beat a gay couple because of their sexual orientation.
London police said Hargis Gibson, 30, and Calvin Mitchell, 31, at about 7:30 p.m. on Saturday attacked a gay couple living at the Laurel Square Apartments. Police chief Elijah Hollon said the assailants clearly targeted the victims, Robbie Gregory and Tommy Perez, because they are gay. Police are investigating the incident as a hate crime, Hollon said. "They did not like for them to live in that same complex," he said.
Hollon said the accused asked officers to release them on several occasions because "they didn't think they had done anything wrong or had done anything that someone else wouldn't have done."
If found guilty of a hate crime, Gibson and Mitchell could be denied varying forms of probation or parole, according to state law. Gibson and Mitchell, who also reside at the complex, initially asked the victims to let them into their apartment, but the couple refused, Hollon said. Instead of leaving, the assailants forced their way into the apartment and began punching and kicking Gregory and Perez, Hollon said. Gibson and Mitchell are also charged with burglary.
Gregory, 28, lost consciousness and was briefly hospitalized. He suffered from extensive facial injuries, Hollon said. Perez, whose age wasn't given, sustained minor injuries.
- Politics Timeline: When Executive Orders Came First? 26 min 24 sec ago
- Current Issue One Issue Still Bucks The Trend for LGBT Equality 1 hour 25 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: 'License to Discriminate' Bills Will Keep Coming 2 hours 26 min ago
- Women Ellen's Oscars' Selfie Gets Simpson-ized! March 06 2014 7:56 PM
- Travel General Motors Hopes to Impress You at Mammoth Gay Ski Week March 06 2014 7:24 PM
- Women WATCH: American Idol's Out Contestant MK Nobilette Does 'Drops of Jupiter' March 06 2014 7:18 PM
- Books Gay Propaganda Brings Russian Love Stories to Light March 06 2014 6:06 PM