Vatican document proposes barring gays from priesthood
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 11 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Vatican has prepared a draft document that would prevent the admission of openly gay men to the priesthood, the Catholic News Service has reported. Vatican sources told CNS on October 8 that the document takes the position that because the church considers homosexuality "objectively disordered," gay men should not be admitted to the seminary nor should they be ordained. Apparently the document, which was drafted by the Congregation for Catholic Education, is being circulated in the Vatican for comment throughout the month. However, there is no time frame for a decision on the document, CNS reported.
- Could National Marriage Equality Mean the End of Gay Culture?
- Op-ed: When Right vs. Left Becomes Right vs. Wrong
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- WATCH: Jon Stewart's Hilarious Take on This Week's Supreme Court Arguments
- 9 Celebs Who Learned the Hard Way the T-Word Is Over
- Mayweather, Pacquiao: Two Checkered Pasts with LGBTs, One with Women