Gay student policy gets first OK
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 16 2002 12:00 AM ET
Gay students in Palm Beach County, Fla., are one step closer to getting specific protection from harassment and discrimination, according to the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel. The school board voted 5-1 Monday to add sexual orientation to the list of protected characteristics in the district's antidiscrimination policy. The policy already prohibits harassment and discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, and marital status. The school board is expected to take a final vote on November 18.
"If we put it there in black-and-white, we're sending a message that we consider this as much a priority as other historically protected categories," said school board member Bill Graham.
Clarence Brooks, chairman of the county chapter of the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, praised the board's decision. Brooks, a dance teacher at Middle School of the Arts in West Palm Beach, said what's happening is the opposite of what the district originally feared. Districts that do not specifically name gay and lesbian students as a protected group have faced lawsuits, Brooks said. "By being vague, you open yourself up to more," he said.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Current Issue Number Crunch: A Church in Crisis 28 min 30 sec ago
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 1 hour 27 min ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM