Gay student policy gets first OK
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 16 2002 12:00 AM ET
Gay students in Palm Beach County, Fla., are one step closer to getting specific protection from harassment and discrimination, according to the Fort Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel. The school board voted 5-1 Monday to add sexual orientation to the list of protected characteristics in the district's antidiscrimination policy. The policy already prohibits harassment and discrimination based on race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, and marital status. The school board is expected to take a final vote on November 18.
"If we put it there in black-and-white, we're sending a message that we consider this as much a priority as other historically protected categories," said school board member Bill Graham.
Clarence Brooks, chairman of the county chapter of the Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network, praised the board's decision. Brooks, a dance teacher at Middle School of the Arts in West Palm Beach, said what's happening is the opposite of what the district originally feared. Districts that do not specifically name gay and lesbian students as a protected group have faced lawsuits, Brooks said. "By being vague, you open yourself up to more," he said.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 24 min 39 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 29 min 2 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 2 hours 1 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 2 hours 3 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 2 hours 25 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 29 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM