Buenos Aires legalizes same-sex unions
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 14 2002 1:00 AM ET
Gay rights activists hailed a new law Friday extending certain civil rights to same-sex couples in Buenos Aires, the first Latin American city to adopt such a measure.
Under the law, same-sex couples will receive health insurance and pension rights given to married spouses. The law recognizes the civil union of same-sex couples but does not term the union a marriage.
"For us, the law is the state's recognition of our right to be a couple and will allow us to access social benefits that we were excluded from," said Marcelo Sunthein, an Argentine gay rights activist.
The legislation was passed by the Buenos Aires city legislature early Friday after a lengthy debate interrupted by chants of "Get to work!" by gay rights supporters.
It was approved despite opposition from Argentina's Catholic Church, which argued city legislators had no authority in defining civil unions. The new law is the first of its kind in this predominantly Roman Catholic and conservative country.
Gay and lesbian groups described the legislation as the most far-reaching in Latin America despite their disappointment that it does not give gay couples rights to adopt children.
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM