Virginia basketball team courts gay fans
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 23 2003 12:00 AM ET
The Roanoke Dazzle, a minor league basketball team from Virginia, will sponsor a gay and lesbian fan appreciation night titled "All in the Family" on March 8. Discounted tickets will be offered to gays, lesbians, their families, and friends.
Team president Dennis Robarge says the event will be no different than any other promotional night, though the team will promote the event only through word of mouth and fliers.
"I think it's a positive move," said the Reverend Catherine Houchins, pastor of the local Metropolitan Community Church. "The first time a group does something, it's probably going to anger or upset someone. I think it's a courageous thing for them to do."
This is the second season for the Dazzle, a member of the NBA-owned
National Basketball Development League.
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Nelson Mandela, Humanitarian and HIV Advocate, Dies at 95
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey 55 min 28 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Love Starts With Acceptance 55 min 57 sec ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts 56 min 11 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM