Virginia basketball team courts gay fans
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 23 2003 1:00 AM ET
The Roanoke Dazzle, a minor league basketball team from Virginia, will sponsor a gay and lesbian fan appreciation night titled "All in the Family" on March 8. Discounted tickets will be offered to gays, lesbians, their families, and friends.
Team president Dennis Robarge says the event will be no different than any other promotional night, though the team will promote the event only through word of mouth and fliers.
"I think it's a positive move," said the Reverend Catherine Houchins, pastor of the local Metropolitan Community Church. "The first time a group does something, it's probably going to anger or upset someone. I think it's a courageous thing for them to do."
This is the second season for the Dazzle, a member of the NBA-owned
National Basketball Development League.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM