Virginia basketball team courts gay fans
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 23 2003 1:00 AM ET
The Roanoke Dazzle, a minor league basketball team from Virginia, will sponsor a gay and lesbian fan appreciation night titled "All in the Family" on March 8. Discounted tickets will be offered to gays, lesbians, their families, and friends.
Team president Dennis Robarge says the event will be no different than any other promotional night, though the team will promote the event only through word of mouth and fliers.
"I think it's a positive move," said the Reverend Catherine Houchins, pastor of the local Metropolitan Community Church. "The first time a group does something, it's probably going to anger or upset someone. I think it's a courageous thing for them to do."
This is the second season for the Dazzle, a member of the NBA-owned
National Basketball Development League.
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Antigay Ky. Clerk Inadvertently Married This Queer Couple
- Jenny Boylan Tells Caitlyn Jenner: 'Don't Be a Stupid' Woman
- WATCH: How This 12-Year-Old Lacrosse Player Found His Courage