Virginia basketball team courts gay fans
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 23 2003 1:00 AM ET
The Roanoke Dazzle, a minor league basketball team from Virginia, will sponsor a gay and lesbian fan appreciation night titled "All in the Family" on March 8. Discounted tickets will be offered to gays, lesbians, their families, and friends.
Team president Dennis Robarge says the event will be no different than any other promotional night, though the team will promote the event only through word of mouth and fliers.
"I think it's a positive move," said the Reverend Catherine Houchins, pastor of the local Metropolitan Community Church. "The first time a group does something, it's probably going to anger or upset someone. I think it's a courageous thing for them to do."
This is the second season for the Dazzle, a member of the NBA-owned
National Basketball Development League.
- Meet the Same-Sex Couple Who Made Dodger Stadium Swoon
- WATCH: The 8 Most Hateful Things Texas Lawmakers Said Monday
- WATCH: Dodger Stadium Reacts to Same-Sex Couple on Kiss Cam
- Marriage Equality Could Worsen Bisexual Erasure
- Op-ed: 5 Reasons Men's Health Needs a Trans Man On The Cover
- 14 Gloriously Hilarious Rihanna Met Gala Gown Memes