BY Advocate.com Editors
January 25 2003 1:00 AM ET
Mautner Project launches training project on lesbian health
The Mautner Project for Lesbians With Cancer announced Friday that the organization has developed the first national program to train health care professionals to provide culturally competent care to lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered women. The program, called "Removing the Barriers," is "designed to overcome the obstacles that prevent women who partner with women from receiving fair and equal access to the health care they need and deserve," said Mautner Project executive director Kathleen DeBold. Chief among these barriers are homophobia among health care providers and unwelcoming environments that discourage women who partner with women from seeking care, often with serious--or even deadly--results.
"Removing the Barriers" was developed in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Training sessions are already scheduled for various locations in Virginia, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Colorado, Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas, and Washington, D.C.
The goals of the project include: improving individual health care providers' skills in giving culturally competent care to women who partner with women; creating systemic change in the health care system so women who partner with women can feel safe in accessing care; and recruiting and training community partners to implement the program in their local service areas.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Why Television Is Outpacing Film in Diversity
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- A Letter to My Partners
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 12 min 45 sec ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 19 min 34 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 22 min 35 sec ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 1 hour 44 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 1 hour 58 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 2 hours 10 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 2 hours 13 min ago