BY Advocate.com Editors
January 25 2003 12:00 AM ET
Mautner Project launches training project on lesbian health
The Mautner Project for Lesbians With Cancer announced Friday that the organization has developed the first national program to train health care professionals to provide culturally competent care to lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered women. The program, called "Removing the Barriers," is "designed to overcome the obstacles that prevent women who partner with women from receiving fair and equal access to the health care they need and deserve," said Mautner Project executive director Kathleen DeBold. Chief among these barriers are homophobia among health care providers and unwelcoming environments that discourage women who partner with women from seeking care, often with serious--or even deadly--results.
"Removing the Barriers" was developed in collaboration with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Training sessions are already scheduled for various locations in Virginia, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Colorado, Oregon, Oklahoma, Texas, and Washington, D.C.
The goals of the project include: improving individual health care providers' skills in giving culturally competent care to women who partner with women; creating systemic change in the health care system so women who partner with women can feel safe in accessing care; and recruiting and training community partners to implement the program in their local service areas.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 40 min 19 sec ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM