Belgium expected to approve gay marriages
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 31 2003 12:00 AM ET
Belgium's parliament was expected to approve a proposal Thursday to allow same-sex marriages, paving the way for the country to become the second in Europe to do so after the Netherlands.
The law, already passed by the Belgian senate in November, is likely to be supported by a majority in the lower house of parliament and become law four months after its official confirmation. The law would give gay couples most of the same rights as straight couples, although it would not allow them to adopt children.
"Marriage offers two partners the possibility of declaring their relationship and the feelings they have for each other openly," said justice minister Marc Verwilghen. "Mentalities have changed. There is no longer any reason not to open it to people of the same sex."
The new law was proposed by the rainbow coalition of Belgian prime minister Guy Verhofstadt. Verhofstadt originally proposed limiting the law's application to Belgians and nationals of other countries with similar laws. But its final version is open to everyone.
The Dutch parliament passed a law allowing gay and lesbian marriages in 2000, although it applies only to Dutch nationals or people who have a residence permit in the Netherlands.
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM
- Business America's Best Places to Work, According to HRC December 09 2013 3:49 PM