Protest calls for hate-crime charges
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 04 2003 1:00 AM ET
Protesters in Riverside, Calif., are demanding that hate-crime allegations be refiled against reputed gang members accused of killing a man outside a gay bar. More than 100 people rallied in front of a local church Friday night to condemn a judge's decision last month to dismiss the allegations. "We know hate when we see it," said Chani Beeman, chairwoman of the city's Human Relations Commission.
About a dozen relatives and acquaintances of those charged in the killings gathered across the street in a counterdemonstration. "They are not murderers. They were provoked," said Yolanda Gallardo, mother of defendant David Martinez.
Jeffery Owens, 40, of Moreno Valley, was stabbed on June 5 during an argument in the parking lot of the Menagerie bar. He died at a hospital after receiving an overdose of a blood-clotting drug. Witnesses said one attacker yelled a gay slur and that the stabbing was unprovoked, but relatives allege that a dispute over a pool game led to the attack. Five men have been charged with murder, and one woman has been charged as an accessory. Their arraignments are scheduled for Tuesday.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? March 16 2014 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM