Colorado adoption bill killed
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 20 2003 1:00 AM ET
A committee in the Colorado house of representatives killed a bill Tuesday that would have allowed gay and lesbian couples to adopt children. Witnesses told the state, veterans, and military affairs committee that gay and lesbian couples are being forced to choose one person in the couple to become the legal parent and provide health and other benefits. They said children of same-sex couples have trouble getting medical treatment, registering for school, and qualifying for other benefits like Social Security because only one parent has legal rights.
"It doesn't create any rights for the gay couples; it basically creates rights for children," said the bill's sponsor, Rep. Alice Madden.
Opponents said House Bill 1235 was an attempt to create legal recognition of domestic partnerships, which Colorado lawmakers have repeatedly rejected. State law allows a single parent to adopt a child, regardless of their sexual orientation. Madden tried unsuccessfully to amend the bill to allow a second parent to adopt a child without recognizing the partnership. The committee instead killed the bill on a 7-4 vote.
- Fred Phelps Excommunicated and Near Death?
- Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion
- New York Times Feature Lets Barilla Off the Hook for Antigay Remarks
- A Brief History of Gays and the St. Patrick's Day Parade
- LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades
- LISTEN: Right-Wing Pundits Blast Guinness's Pullout From St. Pat's Parade
- Travel S.F. Getting Its Own Rainbow Crosswalks 12 min 12 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: 'Not Looking' Episode 2 22 min 16 sec ago
- Media New York Times Feature Lets Barilla Off the Hook for Antigay Remarks 24 min 23 sec ago
- Youth School Bans Bullied Kid's My Little Pony Schoolbag 50 min 45 sec ago
- Transgender Wendy Williams Apologizes for Transphobic Panel Discussion 58 min 12 sec ago
- Television RPDR: Music Producer Lucian Piane on Pushing RuPaul & Working with Idol Contestants 1 hour 4 min ago
- Television How I Met Your Dad Adds Second Gay Character 1 hour 6 min ago