Pro-gay bill passes New Mexico house
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 26 2003 1:00 AM ET
A proposal to outlaw discrimination based on sexual orientation was approved by the New Mexico house of representatives on Monday, and supporters say they are hopeful the measure will be enacted this year. It was the first time the house passed the measure despite more than a decade of debate over whether New Mexico should extend antidiscrimination protections to gays and lesbians.
"It's 2003--we shouldn't be discriminating against anyone, anywhere, anytime," said Rep. Gail Beam (D-Albuquerque), who sponsored the bill.
The legislation will broaden the state's Human Rights Act to cover sexual orientation, making it illegal to discriminate on that basis in matters of employment, housing, credit, public accommodations and union membership. It will apply equally to heterosexuals, homosexuals, and bisexuals. The bill passed the house 39-27 and now goes to the senate. Linda Siegle, of the Coalition for Equality in New Mexico, said she is confident the senate will approve the measure. Gov. Bill Richardson has pledged to sign the bill into law. In 2001 the bill was rejected by the house 35-31.
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates
- Derek Jarman's Alternative to The New Gay Credo
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Current Issue Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly 33 min 22 sec ago
- Transgender How New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Inmates 41 min 17 sec ago
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM