HRC applauds "faith-based" move
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 01 2003 12:00 AM ET
Gay rights group the Human Rights Campaign on Monday praised Republican senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, the leading Senate Republican champion of President Bush's faith-based initiative, for agreeing to remove provisions in legislation that might have created a system of federally subsidized discrimination based on religion. In the past, religious discrimination has been used as a proxy for discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. "What we see here is tremendous synergy among Senator Santorum, the White House, and senators Joseph Lieberman and Tom Daschle--all standing together to put aside differences and advance legislation that spurs charitable donations without the potential for discrimination," said HRC political director Winnie Stachelberg.
The Civil Rights Act of 1964 exempts religious organizations from discrimination in hiring and permits them to favor members of their own religion. The Supreme Court has never clarified whether that exemption would apply to religious organizations receiving public funding. Before the language was removed, HRC supported amending the language to ensure that federally funded discrimination in employment based on religion would be prohibited.
"HRC unequivocally opposes any legislation that would allow public money to be used to discriminate against any American," Stachelberg said.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 29 min 37 sec ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 30 min 30 sec ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 46 min 18 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 3:36 PM