Pro-gay bills pass first hurdle in California
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 03 2003 1:00 AM ET
Two pro-gay bills addressing gay and lesbian partnerships passed out of committee level in the California state assembly Tuesday and now go to the full assembly. The first bill, authored by out lesbian assemblywoman Jackie Goldberg, would grant gay and lesbian couples--as well as heterosexual domestic partners--many of the same rights granted married couples. These include the right to file joint tax returns, have joint ownership of property and joint obligation for debt, and the right to authorize medical treatment for a partner's children, the Los Angeles Times reports. "This is about simple justice," Goldberg said in introducing the bill to the assembly's judiciary committee. "It is a giant step along the road. It is not the last step."
The second bill, which was authored by out lesbian assemblywoman Christine Kehoe, would prevent California state agencies from contracting with businesses that do not provide benefits to their employees' same-sex partners. "[This bill] is about fairness and equity in the workplace," Kehoe said. "Employees should not be discriminated against because of marital or domestic-partnership status; 30% to 40% of employee compensation comes in the form of health, dental, vision, bereavement leave,
pension, and retirement benefits."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis March 11 2014 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 March 11 2014 5:55 PM