GLAAD launches "People of Color" campaign
BY Advocate.com Editors
April 15 2003 11:00 PM ET
The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation is launching the "People of Color" media campaign to promote fair, accurate, and inclusive representations of people of color in the GLBT community. The campaign is part of GLAAD's strategic plan to develop diverse markets. "GLAAD's [People of Color] media program is designed to serve the explosive growth of media targeting specific communities," said John Sonego, GLAAD's director of communications. "And we wanted to invest significant staff time and resources to maximize opportunities for collaboration."
Monica Taher, former Western regional media manager for GLAAD, has been tapped to build the program. Prior to her employment with GLAAD, Taher worked for public relations firm Rogers and Associates, the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center, and the news departments of two Telemundo stations. She is credited with placing the first op-ed about GLBT images in Spanish language media in La Opinión, the largest Spanish-language paper in the country.
"With the new [People of Color] media imitative and the expansion of GLAAD's staff, the organization will increase the innumerable opportunities in local and national markets to share our stories and encourage inclusive representation of gay and lesbian people of color in all media," said Taher.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Why God Loves Uganda Should Win That Oscar
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM