Trial to begin in Morehouse beating case
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 07 2003 12:00 AM ET
The trial for a Morehouse College student accused of savagely beating another student he thought was gay will begin Monday. Aaron Price, 19, is accused of beating a fellow student, Gregory Love, in a dorm bathroom at the Atlanta college last November.
Prosecutors say Price thought Love was making a sexual advance by looking in his shower stall, so Price left the shower and returned with a baseball bat. Love was severely beaten in the attack, suffering a fractured skull. He has since recovered and says he only looked at Price because he didn't have his glasses on and mistook Price for his roommate. Price is charged with assault and battery, and Fulton County is prosecuting the case as a hate crime, which could add five years to a sentence if Price is convicted.
The beating has evoked strong emotions at Morehouse, a historically black college where some gay students said homophobia is rampant. Price has been expelled. Jurors in the case were selected last week. More than 50 possible jury members were questioned on their feelings about gay people and any experiences with violent crime.
Opening statements are scheduled for Monday.
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 21 min 12 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 29 min 58 sec ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 36 min 40 sec ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 19 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 1 hour 50 min ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 1 hour 56 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 2 hours 57 min ago