Indiana theater group drops The Laramie Project
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 10 2003 12:00 AM ET
A Princeton, Ind., theater group has abandoned plans to stage The Laramie Project, a play about the reaction of a rural Wyoming community to the killing of Matthew Shepard in 1998. Gibson Southern High School drama teacher Matt Hart said the theater group had intended to put on the play until some ministers began protesting what would have been the group's first performance.
Charlie Dietz, minister of the Princeton Christian Church, said he was worried the play would promote the acceptance of homosexuality. "We believe what the Bible teaches--that [homosexuality] is a sin," Dietz told the Princeton Daily Clarion. "We abhor the death of Mr. Shepard that the play is written around. But we would not in any way endorse or condone homosexuality."
Hart had told cast members that the play contains some rough language and that he was sensitive to community standards. Still, Hart was reluctant to edit the script. Organizers had said the script--involving the verbatim reactions of townsfolk--did not promote homosexuality, nor was homosexuality the main theme. Dietz said he and others in Princeton, located about 25 miles north of Evansville, would "like to see a community theater here, where we could go and enjoy a good, wholesome play."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 6 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 1 hour 45 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 1 hour 51 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 2 hours 15 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 2 hours 23 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 2 hours 30 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 12:50 PM