Arizona governor supports gay state employees
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 23 2003 11:00 PM ET
Gay rights activists in Arizona celebrated a long-fought victory over the weekend when Gov. Janet Napolitano signed an executive order forbidding discrimination based on sexual orientation in state agencies. "We're ecstatic," said Kathie Gummere of the Arizona Human Rights Fund. "It's one more step forward for us in gaining the rights that everyone else takes for granted." Napolitano's executive order makes it illegal for the state to hire, fire, promote, or discipline any state employee based on the individual's sexual orientation. "To the people of Arizona, I say, 'Welcome to a new Arizona,"' Napolitano told 1,000 people Saturday night at the Arizona Human Rights Fund dinner at the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix.
For at least five years the Arizona Human Rights Fund, a GLBT rights organization, has tried to encourage similar legislation because of the high number of complaints in the state about workplace bias. "I hear from at least one person a week who feels like they were discriminated against in the workplace," Gummere said. But while Napolitano's announcement received four standing ovations from supporters, not everyone is applauding. "She's governing like she's a third-world dictator; it's ridiculous," said Len Munsil, president of the Center for Arizona Policy, a conservative Christian organization. The Center for Arizona Policy has been instrumental in lobbying to block changes in the language of equal opportunity law in the past. Now the group plans to look at ways to reverse the new order, Munsil said.
- Parenting Forum Shows Key Role of Parents in Winning Rights for Gays and Lesbians in China 0 sec ago
- Television Meet the New Queens of RuPaul's Drag Race 35 min 35 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Real-Life Girlfriends Bria & Chrissy on '10 Things Lesbians Do on Saturdays' 37 min 50 sec ago
- Travel Stockholm Pride Sent an FU to Putin 49 min 12 sec ago
- Sports WATCH: Sportscaster Denies Calling Kansas Jayhawks 'Gayhawks' 1 hour 19 min ago
- Music 6 New Christmas Albums To Get You In the Holiday Mood 1 hour 46 min ago
- Film George Takei Documentary to Premiere at Sundance 1 hour 47 min ago