Charges dismissed for San Francisco activists
BY Advocate.com Editors
July 03 2003 11:00 PM ET
Charges against six people arrested for allegedly trying to attack San Francisco supervisor Gavin Newsom during Sunday's gay pride parade have been dismissed, prosecutors said Tuesday. "We are going to dismiss the charges pending further investigation," said Mark MacNamara, spokesman for District Attorney Terence Hallinan, according the the San Francisco Chronicle.
The five men and one woman arrested Sunday are members of a group called Gay Shame, who objected to corporate sponsorship of the parade and the inclusion of Newsom. According to police, the group jumped a barricade along the parade route and rushed toward a car carrying Newsom, with three of them waving metal, bamboo, and wooden poles in a threatening manner. Supporters of the six said that nobody had threatened Newsom and that the poles had been attached to banners that the demonstrators were trying to unfurl.
The demonstrators were being held without bail on suspicion of threatening a public official and conspiring both to commit a crime and to do so as a criminal gang--all felony charges. The protesters were released Tuesday, and the charges were dropped Wednesday.
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet?
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- Op-ed: Pope Francis Has Not Made Good on Transgender Rights
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis 1 hour 30 min ago
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees 2 hours 27 min ago
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill 6:00 AM