Geoghan's alleged killer enters plea of not guilty
September 19 2003 11:00 PM ET
An inmate accused of killing former priest John J. Geoghan in prison pleaded innocent Friday to murder, then exited his arraignment screaming "Let's keep the kids safe!" and "Hold pedophiles accountable for their actions!" Joseph L. Druce allegedly beat and strangled Geoghan in the priest's cell at Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center in Shirley, Mass., on August 23. Druce, 38, is serving a life sentence for the 1988 murder of a gay man.
In letters to several newspapers, Druce has identified himself as Geoghan's "exterminator" and said pedophiles should be castrated. He's also boasted that he killed Geoghan to "avenge the children." In U.S. district court in Worcester, Mass., on Friday, Druce nodded his head as the clerk read the charge that he "did beat and murder" Geoghan. When asked for his plea, Druce shrugged and said, "Not guilty." Druce's attorney, John LaChance, has said he plans to seek an insanity defense. Geoghan, 68, was serving a nine- to 10-year sentence for groping a 10-year-old boy and was accused of molesting nearly 150 other boys over a period of three decades. His case triggered the infamous sex scandal that has rocked the U.S. Roman Catholic Church.
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 1 hour 28 min ago
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM