Russian Orthodox Church suspends ties with Episcopal Church
November 19 2003 1:00 AM ET
The Russian Orthodox Church announced Monday that it is suspending ties with the U.S. Episcopal Church over its consecration of an openly gay bishop, saying that homosexuality is a sin and that it "cannot condone the perversion of human nature."
"Homosexual sexual contact has always been considered a grave sin by the Christian Church," the Russian Orthodox Church's Moscow Patriarchate said in a statement posted on its Web site. "Biblical passages that condemn homosexuality are clear and unequivocal."
The statement said the consecration of the Episcopal Church's first openly gay bishop, the Reverend V. Gene Robinson, had "forced" the Russian Orthodox Church to "freeze its relations" with the Episcopal Church USA. "We see a big danger to modern man in the processes taking place in the American Episcopal Church and in certain other Christian communities of the Western world," it says. "People are gradually getting used to the idea that homosexuality is not a deviation, not a perversion, but just one form of 'love' that even the Church blesses."
The Russian Orthodox Church, which is dominant in Russia and has flocks in other former Soviet republics, also criticized the Episcopal Church USA over a vote last summer allowing local dioceses to continue deciding for themselves about holding blessing ceremonies for same-sex couples. "All this leads to a terrible consequence: people with normal sexual orientation are introduced to homosexuality," the statement said.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians 11 min 22 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 1 hour 18 min ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 1 hour 25 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 1 hour 28 min ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 2 hours 50 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 6:08 PM
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 5:56 PM