Gay parents fled England over death threats
January 07 2004 1:00 AM ET
A gay couple from Cheshire, England, who made legal history when they were named as joint parents of test-tube babies, have revealed that they had to flee the country because of death threats, the Manchester News reports. Multimillionaire Barrie Barlow and Tony Drewitt, who became Britain's first openly gay surrogate fathers four years ago, left their home in Macclesfield for a palatial villa in Spain, where they say the attitude is more tolerant of gay couples. Nothing, they say, had prepared them for the level of hatred that followed the birth of their test-tube twin babies, Aspen and Saffron. They received more than 25 death threats and menacing letters promising, among other things, that their limbs would be torn off one by one. Drewitt, 39, and Barlow, 35, have since added a third child, 5-month-old Orlando, to their family and are planning a fourth after a church blessing later this year.
The pair will appear on a two-part Channel 4 TV documentary, Making Babies: The Gay Way, starting on January 22. They are now enjoying a quiet life in their luxurious six-bedroom hacienda in Alicante, but they are so concerned for their children's safety that they have paid for security gates at Aspen and Saffron's school and hired full-time British bodyguards--one armed--to watch over them.
Barlow, who became a multimillionaire when he and Drewitt sold their clinical research company and retired on the proceeds, said, "It's scary. We received 25 threats in England.... [One letter] threatened to break our legs and take our kids off us so they can grow up with a straight couple."
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 21 min 25 sec ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 1 hour 21 min ago
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 2 hours 22 min ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM