Proposed Oklahoma marriage ban draws court challenge
May 25 2004 11:00 PM ET
Supporters of same-sex marriage in Oklahoma plan a court challenge to the proposed constitutional amendment that would ban gay marriage in the state. The Progressive Alliance Foundation is working to raise money to finance an American Civil Liberties Union challenge to State Question 711, due on the November 2 ballot. "We think it's a totally unconstitutional piece of legislation," said ACLU lobbyist Keith Smith. "We're going to have it tested in the courts." Smith added that all the rhetoric surrounding gay marriage is a diversionary tactic by the Republican Party. "They want to distract Oklahomans from all the bad Republican news and refocus on these made-up, controversial issues," Smith said.
State representative Thad Balkman (R-Norman) called the legal challenge "frivolous.... This is a blatant attempt to circumvent the legislature's vote regarding gay marriage. It will cost Oklahoma taxpayers thousands of dollars to defend against this suit, dollars that could be better spent on priorities such as bridges and highways, public safety, and education." Balkman said recent polls show most Oklahomans oppose marriage for same-sex couples and that opposition to gay marriage is a bipartisan issue.
Oklahoma Democratic Party chairman Jay Parmley said the PAF and the party have no official relationship. "This is an independent foundation that has the right to do whatever it wants," Parmley said. "If they want to try to block the gay marriage amendment, they have every right to do that, just as a right-leaning group would have every right to countersue as well."
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM