BY Neal Broverman
August 25 2009 5:30 AM ET
The organizers of the National Equality March -- which could bring tens of thousands to Washington, D.C., in the name of gay rights -- just released their budget, and in keeping with the times, it's a relatively frugal endeavor.
The entire event, which includes the October 11 march, related functions, and a wreath-laying at the tomb of the unknown soldier, is budgeted at $199,550. The largest expense is for audio and visual equipment that will populate a main stage near the Capitol -- that equipment and the labor needed to haul it to the National Mall will cost $60,000. Printed materials and portable toilets also eat up a large portion of the event's budget.
The majority of funding for the National Equality March has come from donations -- additional financial gifts can be made through a website set up by march organizers.
Cleve Jones, creator of the AIDS Memorial Quilt, is the lead organizer of the event. Jones says the event's sole, unified demand is "equal protection in all matters governed by civil law in all 50 states."
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex December 12 2013 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study December 12 2013 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians December 12 2013 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson December 12 2013 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! December 12 2013 4:20 PM