BY Neal Broverman
August 25 2009 6:30 AM ET
The organizers of the National Equality March -- which could bring tens of thousands to Washington, D.C., in the name of gay rights -- just released their budget, and in keeping with the times, it's a relatively frugal endeavor.
The entire event, which includes the October 11 march, related functions, and a wreath-laying at the tomb of the unknown soldier, is budgeted at $199,550. The largest expense is for audio and visual equipment that will populate a main stage near the Capitol -- that equipment and the labor needed to haul it to the National Mall will cost $60,000. Printed materials and portable toilets also eat up a large portion of the event's budget.
The majority of funding for the National Equality March has come from donations -- additional financial gifts can be made through a website set up by march organizers.
Cleve Jones, creator of the AIDS Memorial Quilt, is the lead organizer of the event. Jones says the event's sole, unified demand is "equal protection in all matters governed by civil law in all 50 states."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics WATCH: Obama's Morehouse Commencement Speech Name-Checks Gay Rights 2 hours 26 min ago
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City 2 hours 47 min ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' 2 hours 57 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 6:00 PM