BY Michelle Garcia
August 25 2009 1:40 PM ET
Early testing for track athlete Caster Semenya shows that the 800-meter world champion has "high testosterone levels," according to London's Daily Telegraph.
Preliminary results of hormone testing show that the 18-year-old South African has three times the expected level of testosterone compared to other women.
Semenya clocked the world's fastest time this year in the 800-meter finals at the International Association of Athletics Federations World Championships in Berlin. Since then, Semenya has been asked to undergo gender testing.
Ekkhart Arbeit, the head coach of the South African track team, was involved in the major doping scandals with East German athletes in the 1970s and 1980s and has been accused by a female athlete of giving her so many steroids she had to undergo a sex change and live her life as a man. However, earlier reports of Semenya's upbringing show that some people, like her high school principal, were unsure of her gender prior to the start of her track career.
IAAF president Lamine Diack admitted that the public outcry over Semenya's gender could have been treated more sensitively. "It should not even have become an issue if the confidentiality had been respected," Diack said according to the Telegraph. "There was a leak of confidentiality at some point and this led to some insensitive reactions."
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM