BY Julie Bolcer
August 24 2009 11:45 PM ET
Melissa Sue Robinson, a transgender candidate for mayor of Nampa, Idaho, plans to sue Twitter after someone created a false account under her name and posted lewd information, reports KTRV-TV.
Robinson said she checked Google and found “something very lewd, very malicious, just downright nasty” with her name on it. The Twitter account used the title “woman with a penis,” and had tweeted lewd remarks to a Michigan reporter.
Robinson said she asked both Twitter and Google to remove the account over one month ago, but it still exists here. Robinson is working to build a defamation of character and violation of privacy lawsuit.
The 58-year-old Robinson announced in June that she would challenge incumbent mayor Tom Dale for the chance to lead Nampa, a booming city about 20 miles west of Boise. A self-described progressive, her plans include the passage of an LGBT rights ordinance, transportation improvements, and development of the downtown area.
Robinson is the former owner of a construction firm in Michigan, where she finished third in Lansing's 2003 mayoral race. She founded the National Association for the Advancement of Transgendered People.
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 7:00 AM
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM