BY Neal Broverman
August 26 2009 5:05 PM ET
Vanity Fair columnist Dominick Dunne has died at his home in Manhattan after a battle with bladder cancer. He was 83.
Dunne, who was long rumored to be gay, was one of the nation's most high-profile magazine journalists, tracking the exploits and crimes of the world's rich, famous, and powerful. Dunne gained a national profile as Vanity Fair's correspondent at the 1991 rape trial of William Kennedy Smith and the 1993 trial of Erik and Lyle Menendez, who were convicted in a later trial for the 1989 murder of their wealthy parents. The writer also famously covered the O.J. Simpson trial, later writing the book Another City, Not My Own about the sensational court case.
A prolific author, Dunne also wrote People Like Us, a book based in part on the 1982 murder of his 22-year-old daughter Dominique by her ex-boyfriend.
Contributing to talk of Dunne's sexuality was the fact that he was executive producer of 1970's The Boys in the Band, a groundbreaking film about a group of gay male friends in New York City.
Dunne was married to Ellen Griffin from 1954 to 1965, when the couple divorced. In addition to Dominique, Dunne was the father of two sons, Griffin and Alexander.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 27 min 38 sec ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 1 hour 7 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM