BY Neal Broverman
August 26 2009 5:05 PM ET
Vanity Fair columnist Dominick Dunne has died at his home in Manhattan after a battle with bladder cancer. He was 83.
Dunne, who was long rumored to be gay, was one of the nation's most high-profile magazine journalists, tracking the exploits and crimes of the world's rich, famous, and powerful. Dunne gained a national profile as Vanity Fair's correspondent at the 1991 rape trial of William Kennedy Smith and the 1993 trial of Erik and Lyle Menendez, who were convicted in a later trial for the 1989 murder of their wealthy parents. The writer also famously covered the O.J. Simpson trial, later writing the book Another City, Not My Own about the sensational court case.
A prolific author, Dunne also wrote People Like Us, a book based in part on the 1982 murder of his 22-year-old daughter Dominique by her ex-boyfriend.
Contributing to talk of Dunne's sexuality was the fact that he was executive producer of 1970's The Boys in the Band, a groundbreaking film about a group of gay male friends in New York City.
Dunne was married to Ellen Griffin from 1954 to 1965, when the couple divorced. In addition to Dominique, Dunne was the father of two sons, Griffin and Alexander.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 27 min 43 sec ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 30 min 48 sec ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 57 min 22 sec ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 59 min 57 sec ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 1 hour 3 min ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 1 hour 5 min ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 2 hours 1 min ago