BY Neal Broverman
August 31 2009 2:10 PM ET
Working in a ravaged economy and competing with new slot parlors in Pennsylvania, Atlantic City, N.J., is now looking to the lucrative gay and lesbian travel market to save the day.
In Atlantic City, the casino conglomerate Harrah's is making a big push to entice gay gamblers to their four local casinos. Aside from placing advertisements in gay publications (including The Advocate), Harrah's is hosting "Out in Atlantic City," a week of gay-themed parties and events, from September 25 to 27. Gay stars and favorites like Amanda Lepore, Lance Bass, and former stars of The L Word will touch down in southern New Jersey for the festivities.
Citywide, Atlantic City is developing gay-themed marketing programs after studies have shown gay travel to be one of the most lucrative niche travel markets. Atlantic City, the nation's second-largest gambling market after Las Vegas, is under the gun to raise revenue after a number of gambling operations have opened in nearby Pennsylvania. The economic slowdown has had a tangible effect on the economy of Atlantic City, a place very much dependent on people opening their wallets for meals, shows, and blackjack tables.
Jennifer Weissman, regional vice president of marketing for Harrah's Entertainment Inc., says reaching out to gay customers is a fair-minded -- and smart -- thing to do. "The important message here is that we have to change the face of Atlantic City," Weissman told the The Press of Atlantic City . "We have to provide new and unique reasons to visit Atlantic City."
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1 hour 20 min ago
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM