BY Michelle Garcia
October 15 2009 7:25 PM ET
Jamaican Reggae star Buju Banton, whose upcoming performance in Los Angeles was initially canceled after outcry over his homophobic lyrics, may be slated to perform Thursday night.
A woman speaking for Hollywood's Cabana Club told Advocate.com on Thursday that the event had yet to be confirmed -- five hours before the scheduled start time, 9 p.m. However, the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center has announced it will be holding a silent protest in front of the club on Thursday.
Banton met with a group of LGBT people in the Bay Area earlier this week to address his violent, antigay lyrics. Michael Petrelis, one of the activists in attendance, called the meeting “civil and productive.”
U.S. tour dates for Banton have been canceled in Chicago, Las Vegas, Dallas, Houston, and Minneapolis due to homophobic lyrics in songs like "Boom, Bye Bye," in which he calls for the torture and murder of gay men.
“Guy come near we,” he sings, “then his skin must peel / Burn him up bad like an old tire wheel.”
Banton has long been opposed by LGBT activists because of his antigay lyrics and alleged behavior. In 2006, he was acquitted of charges that he assaulted a group of gay men in Kingston, the capital of Jamaica. In 2007, he signed the Reggae Compassionate Act, in which artists vow to refrain from singing antigay lyrics or making homophobic statements, but he later denied that he took the pledge.
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
Sign Up For Email Updates
- No More Bullying Meet the 2013 Point Scholars: Living Proof It Does Get Better 1 hour 8 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Dreaming in the White House 2 hours 2 min ago
- Commentary Day of Decision Op-ed: When a Marriage Would Split Us Up 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain June 18 2013 9:44 PM
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM