BY Christopher Mangum
November 30 2009 4:50 PM ET
Tom Petty admits that his father physically and verbally abused him because he assumed the singer was gay.
"[My father] was scary and violent," Petty said in the new issue of Rolling Stone, according to website Spinner. "He beat the living hell out of me, and there was constant verbal abuse."
According to the music legend, his father assumed that Petty was gay because he was interested in the arts instead of baseball.
"Looking back on it, he probably was disappointed that I was so drawn to the arts. He probably thought I was gay,” added the “Free Falling” singer. "I wasn't interested in sports. I didn't know the names of any baseball players. I liked films and books and records."
Petty also admits to still having nightmares about his violent father.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good as Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
Sign Up For Email Updates
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! May 21 2013 8:29 PM
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. May 21 2013 8:25 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' May 21 2013 8:03 PM
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude May 21 2013 8:00 PM