Indiana Senate Approves Marriage Ban
BY Julie Bolcer
January 29 2010 10:05 AM ET
The Indiana senate approved a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage on Thursday, but the measure introduced by Republican Carlin Yoder (pictured) appears on track to be defeated in the house.
The 38-10 vote in the Republican-controlled senate marked the fourth time the chamber has approved such a measure, reported the Indianapolis Star.
However, this latest measure includes a new restriction on civil unions.
“The amendment passed Thursday, Senate Joint Resolution 13, is more restrictive than the one considered in previous legislative sessions, because it not only would ban judges from allowing same-sex marriages, it also would prevent the legislature from allowing civil unions,” according to the Indianapolis Star.
Indiana law already bans same-sex marriages, which is one of the reasons the constitutional amendment is unlikely to gain traction in the house.
“House Speaker B. Patrick Bauer, D-South Bend, said the amendment is unlikely to receive a hearing this year, arguing the state's trial and appeals courts have upheld Indiana's marriage law,” reports the Indianapolis Star.
A constitutional amendment in Indiana must be approved by two separately elected legislatures before it heads to voters for consideration.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM