BY Michelle Garcia
February 18 2010 3:55 PM ET
Five Kenyan men who were arrested for planning a gay wedding have been released, according to BBC News.
Police said there was not enough evidence to prosecute them, but police spokesman Martha Mutegi said the men were advised to leave the area for their own safety.
The men were arrested last week, when local officials reported hearing about a wedding due to take place in Mtwapa. Two of the men were found with wedding rings.
In Kenya homosexuality is punishable by up to 14 years in jail.
Human Rights Watch is putting the spotlight on Kenya's antigay actions this week, as it calls on the government to stop allowing violence against gays. Several religious leaders have also come together to form a group called Operation Gays Out, which aims to "flush out gays"
“The government is sitting silent while mobs try to kill human rights defenders and assault people they suspect are gay,” Dipika Nath, Human Rights Watch's researcher on LGBT rights said in a report. “Inaction is complicity, and silence can be lethal."
A massive rally against gays is planned for Saturday, Sheik Ali Hussein declared on the radio. The attacks and the government’s failure to act have spread fear in the country's LGBT population, Human Rights Watch officials said. Several people have gone into hiding; others are preparing to flee their homes at a moment’s notice.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Democrats and Republicans Alike Wary of Virginia's Radical Lt. Gov. Nominee
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 39 min 57 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 56 min 17 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 1 hour 19 min ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 2 hours 9 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 53 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 3:13 PM
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 3:00 PM